The special edition of our diving watch G44 Deepwave is the result of a collaboration between enthusiasts - quality journalism from Frankfurt am Main on the part of the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (F.A.Z.) and high-quality mechanical watches built in Frankfurt at Guinand. What began in 2016 with the auction of the prototype of the HS100 in aid of the F.A.Z. “Leaders Help” campaign is being consistently continued in this new, jointly developed watch.
The Ocean Floor
The ocean floor is a world so alien to us humans that it might as well be on another planet. We know very little about what lies in the deepest depths of our oceans, about the trenches, canyons and mountains that exist there, and about the creatures that call them home.
Bathymetry involves mapping the topography of the seafloor and documenting it in bathymetric maps that show the characteristic contour lines. These lines are also stylized on the solid back of our diving watch.
For best readability, the G44 is equipped with a dark blue dial and applied luminous indices. In contrast to the luminescent color usually applied by a printing process, we use hour bars made entirely of luminescent ceramic.
The significantly larger luminous surface and the C3 Grade X1 luminous pigments used result in optimal readability day and night.
Readability at night
For both the hands and the dial, we use what is currently probably the most powerful luminous pigment, SuperLuminova© Grade X1 C3. For the hour markers, we have hour markers cast from luminous ceramic in our molds in Switzerland. These are riveted onto the dial.
To make it easier to distinguish between the hour and minute hands, we not only made the hour hand significantly shorter than the minute hand, but also filled it with green luminescent pigment. The minute hand, which is important for diving advances, the main marking and the second hand are filled with blue afterglow luminous pigment.
For the G44, we are using a movement of the Swiss family-owned company Sellita, based in La Chaux-de-Fonds. The SW200 is produced since 2008 and considered as well-engineered, the basic construction dates from the year 1982. Sellita, manufacturer of watch movements, supplies Guinand with the movement for this watch in the “TOP”-version, decorated with Perlage, Geneva stripes and blued screws.
At Guinand each of these movements is regulated once again in 5 positions before the final control of the watch ends with an accuracy test of several days.
The Watch Case
This sports watch is clearly a Guinand model and the typical DNA of the brand is clearly recognizable. For use in and underwater, we have designed the housing for a pressure resistance of 30 bar. For maximum water resistance, the G44 is equipped with our FKM-R sealing system for the triple sealed crown and base. The bezel can be rotated unidirectionally in minute increments and is made of stainless steel with a hardened surface.
We manufacture the inlay from break-resistant, hard-coated stainless steel. The lettering is milled out. For the front glass, we use anti-reflective coated sapphire crystal that is curved on both sides.
The case technology
Screw-down crown with triple sealing system and flank protection enable a reliable pressure resistance of 30 bar. FKM-R sealing system for crown and back.
Crown tube screwed to the center part of the case, diver's bezel made of stainless steel, tempered to over 1000 Vickers and mounted on 3 encapsulated ball locking systems in the case.
Based on the size values, it is not easy to decide whether the watch fits the wrist, or whether it is too big or too small. To make your decision easier, we have mounted the watch on three different wrist widths that correspond to the usual sizes.
Please note that the wrists shown can only give you an approximate impression of the watch on your wrist, as the shape of the wrist is different for everyone, even if they have the same circumference.
Solid strap Type H Polished/Satinized
Sports watches require special straps - robust, comfortable to wear and, of course, just as high-quality as the watch. We recommend our solid stainless-steel bracelet Type H with quick-change system for tool-free assembly/disassembly.
Alternatively, you can use our waterproof Cordura® fabric strap or one of our rubber or leather straps.
In addition to the statutory warranty, we - Guinand GmbH, Hausener Weg 61, 60489 Frankfurt am Main - give a manufacturer's warranty for the watch
on material and manufacturing defects.
The guarantee period is 2 years.
The warranty period shall begin on the invoice date stated on the Guinand GmbH invoice.
The territorial scope of the guarantee includes the Federal Republic of Germany and the member states of the European Union.
The guarantee only applies for consumers within the meaning of § 13 BGB, not to entrepreneurs within the meaning of § 14 BGB. According to Section 13 of the German Civil Code, a consumer is any natural person who enters into a legal transaction for purposes that are predominantly neither commercial nor self-employed.
If a guarantee case arises, we will repair the watch for you at no additional cost or exchange the watch for an item of equal value free of charge (this can also be a successor model if the watch complained about is no longer available).
Warranty claims are excluded for damage caused by:
- Improper use
- Repairs or attempted repairs not carried out by Guinand GmbH.
- Signs of wear
- Use of force (blows, bumps, impact)
- Bracelets are excluded from the guarantee
- Also excluded is the loss of water resistance of your water-resistant watch if the instructions in the operating instructions are not observed or if there are leaks caused by impact/hit on the crown, pusher or other components of the case and after 24 months from the date of the invoice issued by Guinand GmbH
After you become aware of the possible warranty claim, inform us
Hausener Weg 61
immediately so that consequential damage can be avoided. To make a claim under the guarantee, we need the watch and the invoice from Guinand GmbH with a detailed description of the damage.
In the event of a warranty claim, we bear the costs of sending and returning the watch, as well as the transport risk, provided that the transport is carried out by the transport company specified by us and the watch has been securely packed.
Please contact us by phone +49 (0)69 / 780099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org before sending. Otherwise you as the customer bear the costs of the shipment and the transport risk.
Any costs incurred for customs duties, import duties and other fees incurred when returning the watch to the recipient country are to be borne by the recipient.
We give you this guarantee in addition to your existing statutory rights in the event of defects. These are not restricted by the guarantee and their use is free of charge.
- Calibre SW200
- Self-winding mechanical movement
- Movement version TOP, decorated, blued screws
- 26 jewels
- 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz.
- Anti-magnetic as per DIN 8309/ISO 764
- Shock resistant as per DIN 8308
- Incabloc shock protection
- Glucydur Balance Wheel
- Bidirectional self winding, rotor with ball-bearing
- Power reserve approx. 41 hours, min. 38 hours
- Rotor decorated with Côtes de Genève with engraved Guinand logo
- Nivaflex Barrel spring
- Movement diameter 11½" (25,60 mm)
- Hours, minutes, center second
- Date display
Dial & Hands
- Dark blue dial, hour markers made of luminescent ceramic C3 Grade X1 - green luminescent
- Hour hand filled with green luminous material C3 Grade X1
- Minute hand filled with blue luminous material C3 Grade X1
- Second hand with luminous tip filled with blue luminous material C3 Grade X1
- Stainless steel
- Sapphire crystal glass, domed, anti-reflective on both sides
- Screwed back
- Screwed crown with 3-way sealing system and flank protection
- Sealing system FKM-R for crown and case back
- Waterproof and pressure-resistant up to 30 bar - each individual watch is subjected to a pressure test based on 4.7.4 ISO 6425/2018 with 37.5 bar and this is documented in the final inspection certificate
- Stainless steel - tempered with a surface hardness of over 1000 Vickers
- Bezel insert made of stainless steel, hard-material-coated, engraved and filled black paint
- rotatable in minute steps in one direction
- bezel beared in the case on 3 encapsulated ball detent systems
- Main marking filled with Grade X1 blue luminous paint
Dimensions and Weight
- Case diameter: 40.75 mm / 1.604 inch
- Case thickness: 12.2 mm / 0.48 inch
- Band lug width: 20 mm / 0.787 inch
- Lug-to-lug distance: 48.8 mm / 1.92 inch
- Distance between the spring bars: 46 mm / 1.81 inch, 44 mm/ 1,73 inch (second pair of holes for straps that fit tightly to the case)
- Weight without strap: 78 grams