The day/night boundary
The Grey Line, also known as the "Twilight Zone", is a band around the Earth that separates the daylight side from the nighttime side. It is also the area where radio signals can propagate further than expected due to ionospheric reflection. This makes it a desirable location for long-distance communication, such as amateur radio operators.
Picture: Melancholie (WikiMedia)
With the Flieger Chrono Greyline, we are combining for the first time a chronograph with a tricompax counter arrangement and permanently running day/Night indication via a central 24-hour hand.
We have developed our own movement modification for this purpose. Our Flieger Chrono Greyline combines everything that a pilot's watch should be able to do - best readability day and night thanks to high-contrast dials, luminous material of the highest quality and robustness thanks to our sophisticated stainless-steel case with FKM-R sealing system.
The dial takes up the typical Guinand pilot's watch DNA, interpreted but in a contemporary reduced form. The 24-hour bezel, which clicks in hour increments, enables a second time zone to be displayed in a 24-hour format.
Dial galvanically matt black, totalizers galvanically silver-plated and slightly regressed - totalizer edges beveled. Dial indices made entirely of luminous ceramic. The significantly larger luminous surface and the C3 Grade X1 luminous pigments used result in optimal readability day and night. Rehaut with blue color coating and 24-hour imprint for indication of the night hours.
Hour and minute hands coated with natural white luminous material C3, second hand with luminous arrow at the end of the hand, tricompax counter arrangement, date indication between 4 and 5 o'clock.
The Flieger Chrono Greyline model is powered by our GUI-02 chronograph movement, the basic construction of which is based on the SW510A from the Swiss movement manufacturer Sellita. The in-house construction enables a central 24-hour display, which, together with the appropriately printed rehaut*, enables a day/night display and, with the 24-hour bezel, a 2nd time zone.
The movement for this watch is finished, equipped with blued screws and a Glucydur balance. At Guinand, each of these movements is regulated in 5 positions before the final inspection of the watch concludes with a multi-day rate test. We were able to do without external design, construction and manufacturing resources, all modifications are carried out completely in-house at Guinand.
* Rehaut is the French word for "flange". There is a raised edge around the dial that frames it on all sides. In watchmaker jargon, this is referred to as a rehaut.
The Watch Case
We manufacture the watch case of the Greyline pilot's chronograph from stainless steel. We have the quality of the stainless-steel base material for the housing blanks verified by an acceptance test certificate 3.1 according to EN 10204:2004. In this way, we can be sure that the quality of the material corresponds to our specifications. The anthracite-black hard-coated stainless-steel bezel can be turned in both directions in hourly increments, thus enabling a second time zone to be displayed on a 24-hour basis.
We have equipped the watch with glasses made of scratch-resistant sapphire crystal on both the front and the back (optionally with a solid base). For the dial side, we have installed a slightly curved glass with an anti-reflective coating on the inside and a flat glass made of the same material for the back.
The housing technology
Protected pushers and a screwed crown with 3-way sealing system and side protection enable a reliable pressure resistance of 20 bar. KFM-R sealing system for crown, pusher and base. Pilot's bezel made of stainless steel, anthracite-black hard coated /DLC) and beared in the case on 3 encapsulated ball detent systems.
Based on the size values, it is not easy to decide whether the watch fits the wrist, or whether it is too big or too small. To make your decision easier, we have mounted the watch on three different wrist widths that correspond to the usual sizes.
Please note that the wrists shown can only give you an approximate impression of the watch on your wrist, as the shape of the wrist is different for everyone, even if they have the same circumference.
Solid Strap Type H Satinized
We also produce our Type H metal strap in a completely satin-finished version, matching the satinized watch models.
In addition to the statutory warranty, we - Guinand GmbH, Hausener Weg 61, 60489 Frankfurt am Main - give a manufacturer's warranty for the watch
Flieger Chrono Greyline
on material and manufacturing defects.
The guarantee period is 2 years.
The warranty period shall begin on the invoice date stated on the Guinand GmbH invoice.
The territorial scope of the guarantee includes the Federal Republic of Germany and the member states of the European Union.
The guarantee only applies for consumers within the meaning of § 13 BGB, not to entrepreneurs within the meaning of § 14 BGB. According to Section 13 of the German Civil Code, a consumer is any natural person who enters into a legal transaction for purposes that are predominantly neither commercial nor self-employed.
If a guarantee case arises, we will repair the watch for you at no additional cost or exchange the watch for an item of equal value free of charge (this can also be a successor model if the watch complained about is no longer available).
Warranty claims are excluded for damage caused by:
- Improper use
- Repairs or attempted repairs not carried out by Guinand GmbH.
- Signs of wear
- Use of force (blows, bumps, impact)
- Bracelets are excluded from the guarantee
- Also excluded is the loss of water resistance of your water-resistant watch if the instructions in the operating instructions are not observed or if there are leaks caused by impact/hit on the crown, pusher or other components of the case and after 24 months from the date of the invoice issued by Guinand GmbH
After you become aware of the possible warranty claim, inform us
Hausener Weg 61
immediately so that consequential damage can be avoided. To make a claim under the guarantee, we need the watch and the invoice from Guinand GmbH with a detailed description of the damage.
In the event of a warranty claim, we bear the costs of sending and returning the watch, as well as the transport risk, provided that the transport is carried out by the transport company specified by us and the watch has been securely packed.
Please contact us by phone +49 (0)69 / 780099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org before sending. Otherwise you as the customer bear the costs of the shipment and the transport risk.
Any costs incurred for customs duties, import duties and other fees incurred when returning the watch to the recipient country are to be borne by the recipient.
We give you this guarantee in addition to your existing statutory rights in the event of defects. These are not restricted by the guarantee and their use is free of charge.
- Calibre GUI-2 based on calibre SW510
- Self-winding mechanical movement
- Chronograph function integrated into the movement
- 27 jewels
- Glucydur-Chronometer Balance Wheel
- 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz.
- Stone lever escapement
- Shock resistant as per DIN 8308
- Anti-magnetic as per DIN 8309/ISO 764
- Movement diameter 13 1/4"" (30,4 mm)
- Unidirectional self-winding mechanism with ball bearing, weight segment made of heavy metal
- Incabloc shock protection
- Power reserve approx. 60 hours
- Movement decorated, weight segment with engraved Guinand logo
- Hours, minutes, subsidiary seconds
- Chronograph with 30 min counter and central second hand
- Permanently running 24-hour hand
- Date display
- Stainless steel, satinized
- Sapphire crystal glass, domed, anti-reflective on the interior
- Screwed back with sapphire crystal glass
- Screwed crown with 3-way sealing system and flank protection
- Hard-coated stainless steel pilot's bezel, rotatable in minute steps in both directions
- Sealing system FKM-R for pushers, crown and case back
- Protected pushers
- Pressure resistant up to 20 bar
Dimensions and Weight
- Case diameter: 40.7 mm / 1.6 inch
- Case thickness: 15.7 mm / 0.62 inch
- Band lug width: 20 mm / 0.79 inch
- Lug-to-lug distance: 48.7 mm / 1.92 inch
- Distance between the spring bars: 45.7 mm / 1.8 inch
- Weight without strap: ca. 92 grams