The matt bead blasted Bicompax chronograph is based on the legendary Heuer watch from the 1960s. The pilot chronograph is a unique reminiscence of the classic of the jet age, at that time mainly delivered to the pilots of the Starfighter aircraft.
And yet this watch interprets the look and feel of the sixties military chronograph in a timely fashion. Because inside there is modern technology. And so this watch easily overcomes the period of 60 years, just as the Starfighter broke through the sound barrier at that time.
This chronograph was made for men who set themselves one of the greatest, ever imaginable, challenges of their time, namely to be accelerated in the Starfighter to twice the speed of sound
Pilot chronographs have inspired watch lovers for decades. The characteristics "optimal readability and operability", which are indispensable for the original military use, are still up-to date more than half a century after the requirement for a military watch was defined by the German Armed Forces.
Translated into the modern times, this means the combination of robustness, a modern automatic movement and the irresistible charm of the faithfully redrawn dial of the former pilot's chronograph. At Guinand, we did not succumb to the temptation to build a replica of the watch of the day. Rather, the Starfighter Pilot Chronograph transports the historical idea to the present day.
With a diameter of approx. 41 mm, this model is not only suitable for watch lovers with stronger wrists.
Deep black and absolutely matt, hour numbers coated with luminescent colour of highest luminosity "Grade X1". The two sub-dials recessed and with bevelled edges create the irresistible charm of the faithfully redrawn dial of the former pilot's chronograph.
The construction of the SW510 is based on the VJ7750 which has been developed in the 70s of the last century and continuously improved. It is arguably the most robust power source for a mechanical chronograph. The SW510 allows the realization of chronographs with Bicompax- and Tricompax dial.
Guinand receives this watch movement produced in Switzerland in a finely finished version with a Glucydur balance. At Guinand, each of these movements is once again adjusted in 5 positions, before the final inspection of the watch concludes with a multi-day running test.
For the Starfighter Pilot Chronograph we use our new pilot's watch case - classic in proportions and therefore clearly part of our pilot's chronograph series 40. The protected pushers and a screwed crown with 3-way sealing system and side protection enable a reliable pressure resistance of 20 bar. The anthracite-black hard-material coated stainless steel pilot's bezel can be rotated in minute increments in both directions and thus enables short-term stops of up to 60 minutes without starting the chronograph. Pushers, crown and back with FKM-R sealing system.
We have equipped the watch with glasses made of scratch-resistant sapphire crystal on both the front and the back. For the dial side we have installed a slightly curved glass with an anti-reflective coating on the inside and a flat glass made of the same material for the back.
The housing technology
Protected pushers and a screwed crown with 3-way sealing system and side protection enable a reliable pressure resistance of 20 bar. KFM-R sealing system for crown, pusher and base. Pilot's bezel made of stainless steel, anthracite-black hard coated /DLC) and beared in the case on 3 encapsulated ball detent systems.
Based on the size values, it is not easy to decide whether the watch fits the wrist, or whether it is too big or too small. To make your decision easier, we have mounted the watch on three different wrist widths that correspond to the usual sizes.
Please note that the wrists shown can only give you an approximate impression of the watch on your wrist, as the shape of the wrist is different for everyone, even if they have the same circumference.
Pilot's watches require special straps - sturdy, comfortable to wear and of course they should share the high quality watch has. All leather straps with a lug width of 20mm are suitable for this watch. The pictures show the watch with the robust and soft, anthracite color wild boar leather strap, which is available in standard and XL length. For watch enthusiasts who prefer metal straps - our Type H metal strap is the right metal strap for this model.
- Calibre SW510
- modified to the omission of the date function (no ghost date)
- Self-winding mechanical movement
- Chronograph function integrated into the movement
- 27 jewels
- 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz.
- Stone lever escapement
- Shock resistant as per DIN 8308
- Anti-magnetic as per DIN 8309/ISO 764
- Movement diameter 13 1/4"" (30,4 mm)
- Glucydur-Chronometer Balance Wheel
- Incabloc shock protection
- Power reserve approx. 60 hours
- Movement decorated, weight segment with engraved Guinand logo
- Unidirectional self-winding mechanism with ball bearing, weight segment made of heavy metal
- Hours, minutes, subsidiary seconds
- Chronograph with 30 min counter and central second hand
- Stainless steel, bead-blasted
- Sapphire crystal glass, domed, anti-reflective on the interior
- Screwed back with sapphire crystal glass
- Screwed crown with 3-way sealing system and flank protection
- Hard-coated stainless steel pilot's bezel, rotatable in minute steps in both directions
- Sealing system FKM-R for pushers, crown and case back
- Protected pushers
- Pressure resistant up to 20 bar
Dimensions and Weight
- Case diameter: approx. 41 mm
- Case thickness: 15.7 mm
- Band lug width: 20 mm
- Lug-to-lug distance: 48.7 mm / 1.92 inch
- Distance between the spring bars: 45.7 mm / 1.8 inch
- Weight without strap: ca. 92 grams