Mach 2 on your wrist
The matt bead blasted Bicompax chronograph is based on the legendary Heuer watch from the 1960s. The pilot chronograph is a unique reminiscence of the classic of the jet age, at that time mainly delivered to the pilots of the Starfighter aircraft.
And yet this watch interprets the look and feel of the sixties military chronograph in a timely fashion. Because inside there is modern technology. And so this watch easily overcomes the period of 60 years, just as the Starfighter broke through the sound barrier at that time.
This chronograph was made for men who set themselves one of the greatest, ever imaginable, challenges of their time, namely to be accelerated in the Starfighter to twice the speed of sound
Pilot chronographs have inspired watch lovers for decades. The characteristics "optimal readability and operability", which are indispensable for the original military use, are still up-to date more than half a century after the requirement for a military watch was defined by the German Armed Forces.
Translated into the modern times, this means the combination of robustness, a modern automatic movement and the irresistible charm of the faithfully redrawn dial of the former pilot's chronograph. At Guinand, we did not succumb to the temptation to build a replica of the watch of the day. Rather, the Starfighter Pilot Chronograph transports the historical idea to the present day.
Deep black and absolutely matt, hour numbers coated with luminescent colour of highest luminosity "Grade X1". The two sub-dials recessed and with bevelled edges create the irresistible charm of the faithfully redrawn dial of the former pilot's chronograph.
The construction of the SW510 is based on the VJ7750 which has been developed in the 70s of the last century and continuously improved. It is arguably the most robust power source for a mechanical chronograph. The SW510 allows the realization of chronographs with Bicompax- and Tricompax dial.
Guinand receives this watch movement produced in Switzerland in a finely finished version with a Glucydur balance. At Guinand, each of these movements is once again adjusted in 5 positions, before the final inspection of the watch concludes with a multi-day running test.
* with the use of SW510A the design of the rotor slightly changed
For the Starfighter Pilot Chronograph we use our big pilot watch case - classical in the proportions and thus clearly associated with our Pilot Chronograph Series 40 - but increased in diameter to a diameter of 42.6 mm according to the size of the stop counters.
Leatherstrap Starfighter Pilot
Pilot's watches require special straps - sturdy, comfortable to wear, waterproof and of course they should share the high quality watch has. The Guinand leather strap "Starfighter Pilot" is made from cowhide and produced locally for Guinand. We select a particularly intensely grained skin and quilt the strap with a subtle contrast stitching.
- Calibre Valjoux 7753 / SW510
- Self-winding mechanical movement
- Chronograph function integrated into the movement
- 27 jewels
- 28.800 vibrations per hour; 4 Hz.
- Stone lever escapement
- Shock resistant as per DIN 8308
- Anti-magnetic as per DIN 8309/ISO 764
- Movement diameter 13 1/4"" (30,4 mm)
- Glucydur-Chronometer Balance Wheel
- Incabloc shock protection
- Power reserve approx. 48 hours
- Movement decorated, weight segment with engraved Guinand logo
- Unidirectional self-winding mechanism with ball bearing, weight segment made of heavy metal
- Hours, minutes, subsidiary seconds
- Chronograph with 30 min counter and central second hand
- Stainless steel, bead-blasted
- Sapphire crystal glass, domed, anti-reflective on the interior
- Screwed back with sapphire crystal glass
- Screwed crown with flank protection, double O-ring sealed
- Pilot bezel, rotatable in two directions
- Protected pushers
- Crown flank protection
- Pressure resistant up to 20 bar
Dimensions and Weight
- Case diameter: 42.66 mm
- Case thickness: 15.6 mm
- Band lug width: 22 mm
- Lug-to-lug distance: 49.7 mm / 1.57 inch
- Distance between the spring bars: 47.3 mm / 1.862 inch
- Weight without strap: ca. 95 Gramm
Straps 22 mm
Other Leather Straps
Leatherstrap Starfighter Pilot
Black leatherstrap made of intensely grained cow hide with a subtle contrast stitching.
High-quality soft oxhide leather strap with red stitching at the tip of the strap and at lug ends.
High-quality leather strap with black stitching, at the tip of the strap and at lug ends
Leather uppers, matte; Underside leather both cowhide. The thickness of the strap is approx. 3,3 mm.
Pull up leather with laquered edging and colored stitch, pin-clasp
Leather Strap Arizona
Black Cowhide with alligator embossing, pin-clasp
Leather Strap Montana
Soft nappa leather in black, pin clasp
Leather Strap Kroko
Black alligator leather, pin-clasp
Leather Strap Rustikal
Black cowhide with alligator embossing, cushioned, contrasting seam white, pin-clasp
Rubber Strap Kroko
Black rubber with alligator embossing, contrasting seam white, pin-clasp
Rubber Strap Glatt
Black rubber strap, smooth surface, incl. a laser engraved folding-clasp satinated or bead-blasted